People Champion & Strategic Workforce Planning Function
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization's human resource, talent management, and workforce planning strategies, inclusive of the operations within each function to drive key performance outcomes.
- Drives a high performing and highly engaged workforce in order to attract and develop top talent, enable strong relationships, positive morale, high productivity, and retention.
- Develop human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps and develop specific programs for the filling of the gaps. Areas of activity will include talent management through proper succession planning programs for key contributor and management positions, training and development programs for preparing employees for more significant responsibilities and general business development programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business of the company.
- Develops staffing and recruitment strategies and implementation plans and programs to identify talent within and outside the corporation.
- Conducts research and analysis of organizational trends including developing, analyzing, interpreting and summarizing reports and metrics to support articulation of successful people strategy both internally and to the Company’s stakeholders, including, the Board, as well as the Board’s compensation committee.
- Strategically partners with the CEO and other executive leadership to understand the organization’s goals and strategy to determine HR’s direction and department strategy.
- Participate in the development of corporation's and/or business unit plans and programs as a strategic partner particularly from the perspective of the impact on people and performance.
- Advisor to the CEO regarding human resources trends and issues.
Drive Culture & Change Initiatives
- Conduct research and analysis to develop and execute company’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) programs and initiatives, including serving in a leadership position as required, on the DEI committee, if requested.
- Develop and execute a scalable plan to execute and advance company’s employee engagement strategy, programs, and initiatives to foster high performance and company commitment to the mission, vision and values.
- Oversees organizational change management strategy and implementation to support business unit needs.
- Oversees and provides guidance/input on business unit restructuring, workforce planning and succession planning.
HR People Operations (Compensation, Benefits, and Systems Administration)
- Oversees the administration of human resource programs including, but not limited to, total rewards, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; recognition and morale; and training and development to execute on business unit needs.
- Responsible for and governs the protocols to effectively administer human resource information system (HIRS), talent management system and other systems, as required.
- Develop progressive and proactive compensation and benefits programs (union, non-union positions) that align to the company’s philosophy in collaboration with the company’s stakeholders, including its Board and its compensation committee.
- Produce regular board and/or committee reports, analysis, information requests from the Board’s compensation committee, and other information as requested.
- Key contributor and advisor on the Retirement Planning Committee, capable of serving a leadership role if required, and responsible for ensuring that relative information on company plans is communicated to employees and change is managed effectively. Serves as the accountable executive for the Company’s pension plan, including the pension audit.
Employee & Labor Relations
- Provides consultation and resolution to all levels of management of complex employee relations inquiries, issues, and investigations through the informed application of company policies, Collective Bargaining Agreement, programs, processes, and federal/state laws.
- Works directly with Company leaders, to answer questions, provide input, review policy and direct numerous projects and topics touching our unionized employees.
- Union contract Implementation and Negotiation – direct negotiation as company spokesperson and works directly with Executive Leadership Team, leaders in Operations, Financial Planning and Analysis, Communication, among others, to develop and execute Hawaii Gas’ negotiation strategy.
- Demonstrates critical thinking and a keen understanding of the issues that might cause operational concerns in the future or in the context of confidential business plans of the company.
- Provides long-term and broad views regarding labor implications of business decisions.
- Strategic Partnering - analyzes business unit needs to maximize efficiency under existing CBAs, including strategizing desired changes to agreements.
- Plans, creates, presents and implements strategies to attain business goals with respect to labor relations and human resource initiatives.
- Formulates policy recommendations involving the application and interpretation of laws and regulations to address any potential conflicts with the terms of collective bargaining agreements.
Compliance, Reporting & Analysis
- Develop appropriate policies and programs for effective management of the people resources of the company. Included in this area but not limited only to the following would be programs for employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment, employee complaints, external education and career development.
- Monitors and ensures the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommends best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance. Responsible for oversight of internal controls and is the Control Owner for required controls.
- Oversees policies, processes, training, initiatives, and surveys to support the organization’s human resource compliance and strategy needs.
OTHER FUNCTIONS/LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interacts and collaborates with various stakeholders, including shareholders, Board, vendors, auditors, etc.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to executive management.
- Develop and manage annual budget for the HR department. Perform periodic cost reviews and analysis
- Facilitates professional development, training, and certification activities for HR and L&OD staff.
- Represents the Company and participates in appropriate local professional, business, community, and political activities/associations. Effectively liaisons with regulatory representatives including the Public Utilities Commission.
- Complies with all safety rules and cooperates in the fullest in the promotion of safety and safe work habits, to include the reporting of any unsafe conditions or acts. Maintains all EH&S training on a current basis.
- Complies with all applicable Hawaii Gas policies and procedures.
- Maintains assigned work area and equipment in a clean, orderly, and safe manner; performs housekeeping duties as required and/or instructed. Works in a safe and responsible manner.
- Keeps current with laws, governmental regulations, trends, and development in this industry.
- Consistently supports compliance with the organization’s code of conduct by maintaining confidentiality of information, protecting organizational assets, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to the applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, licensure requirements (if applicable) and organizational policies and procedures.
- Performs all other related duties as instructed by manager.